Monday, June 13, 2005

Some more thought provokement

The other film I rented from Blockbuster Video was Vera Drake.

Now, being a pro-choice kind of guy myself, I was not particularly horrified by the subject matter...but the sharp contrasts of social opportunity did stick out to me.

Interestingly, I stumbled onto the New York Times' Class Matters section the same day that I was to see the film. Those who naively think that there are no social strata in the US are, of course, grossly mistaken.

Now, I have yet to tank on a Mike Leigh film (others include Career Girls and Naked, among others), but the hallmark of any of his films is the requirement to not check your brain at the ticket counter. Naturally, Vera Drake probably didn't stay in Fayetteville very long. Glum, rather intellectual, and very thought-provoking film.

Next on the DVD hit parade:
X-Men 2 - for the potential God Loves, but Man Kills tie-in?
Hero
Fog of War

No comments:

Post a Comment