Monday, June 27, 2005

5.0mi tactical road march, 1:20:52

None, casual conversation instead

WX at 1700: 84.9 (29.4), DP 68.0 (20.0), BP 30.13 (1020), ENE 13, RH 57%

Rucksack weight: 72lbs

Z3
Resting heart rate three hours after finish = 71 (117/68)

I've begun my regimen of doubles, so instead of running in the evenings, I'm roadmarching, and it's starting to take.

Today was uncharacteristically fast for a weight of 72lbs (far above and beyond the norm, since my minimum training weight is currently 55lbs). The fluke factor was that there were people running on the running path that forms part of the 5-mile course here at Carlisle. They were going so slow that my road march partner (an old classmate from Johns Hopkins) and I were gaining on them and were within 10m when we pulled off the path to continue on the 5-mile course. One was clad entirely in spandex and didn't look so nominally slow as to be running 16-minute mile pace. Then again, I could be wrong. The two miles we covered closing on the group were done at 15:16 pace. I haven't gone that fast since I was trying to go to Air Assault School.

I'm not trying to do anything particularly ambitious with these road marches, but I do notice that when I'm running, it sure takes a hell of a lot less effort, maybe because my legs are suddenly pushing 60-70lbs less weight. That might explain the 8:12 average pace this morning with absolutely no effort, albeit for only 2.6 miles.

I do have some blisters on my feet, though. Dumb, kind of tingly, somewhat painful, but they're covered in Vaseline tonight to see if they'll soften up some.

Tomorrow I plan to road march, although I'll probably lay off the distance and only go 3.1mi, easy. Emphasis on EASY. I may run 5 easy to burn off lactic acid tomorrow morning.

Splits
1:20:52 for overall 16:10 pace

No comments:

Post a Comment