Monday, June 27, 2005

An act of relative penance

I spent this past weekend at my cousin Ed's wedding. It was held at the Salisbury School, a fairly old school in Connecticut where the bride had some institutional ties.

I ate a lot and drank (not quite a lot but some). This weekend was described as a "do nothing but eat" kind of weekend, and while it was restful (somewhat), I realized I was going to be paying for it in spades.

Consequently, I decided to break out the rucksack and went for about four and a half miles at 15:30 - 16:00 minute per mile pace. That's a fairly normal pace for a forced road march. Not so fast that you're hoofing it (which happens for me under 15:00 pace) or just slugging out distance (which happens at 17:00 pace and slower).

That being the case, I think I will be transitioning to two-a-days, and on the days I go easy on the run, it'll be a road march kind of afternoon for certain..depending on how I feel. I'd like to think I could double hard runs with easy road marches to assist in some of the recovery process, but we'll see.

This weekend underscored some more fundamental differences between my family and myself. I have a hard time explaining the motivations of most career officers (myself included) to those who don't subscribe to the belief that if you join the Army, you're not joining for benefits, but out of a more intrinsic patriotism. Or something like that. My relatives were somewhat mortified of my intent to volunteer for a combat tour if I didn't gain acceptance to the Joint Advanced Warfighting School, School of Advanced Warfighting or the School of Advanced Military Studies.

It was also probably significant that the only Asians present were Ed's family. I claim to be pretty whitebread, but dude. The other piece was that there were some fairly noticeable enclaves present, at least if some of the bride's friends from the Pacific northwest were any indicator.

Were I still single, I probably would've spent some more time trying to interact. Now, just not a big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment