Tuesday, June 14, 2011

5.53mi, 49:30, 14 JUN 11, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

iThink: none.

WX at 0700: 68.0 (20.0) DP 64.9 (18.3) BP 29.8 (1009) E 14 RH 90

Odometer 11A: 129.1mi

Z4 ingress, Z2 run, Z4 high egress.
Average/max heart rate = 157/187

I did an installation-wide formation run. For a formation run that was composed to military, civilians, family members, and pets, this group ran a full minute faster per mile than the last formation run I did. I attribute that to numbers.

I thought the group was going to run a loose box at own cadence today, but I was wrong. Someone started the cadence, and ran it out. I even got out there, and realized that literally every cadence I could remember was unsuitable for this audience.

Of the ones I remember, I absolutely could not sing about the monkey who jumps up from the coconut grove, or that "napalm sticks to kids," or that "crunch, crunch, crunch is the sound of the grunts in the sprocket going round and round." I definitely could not sing about how "if you ain't cav, you ain't shit." Literally every cadence I could summon was obscene, or specifically derided a group (as a general staff officer, it's bad form to sing cadences about running over airborne rangers with a tank).

Additionally, other cadences I learned were Cold War cadences, so I wasn't going to sing about dying on the Eastern Front, getting buried with a "Russian Grunt," with a "six-disk changer at my head, so turn up the volume and rock the dead." Maybe not.

There is a special place in hell for those who can only sing running cadences that start with a "C-130 rolling down the strip." My usual response was "first pass" and counting upwards for subsequent iterations of the cadence.

Sum total of my cadences were extended 4-count and various combinations of left and right. There's an old expression that people in the Army never learn to count to five. Listen to a formation run, you know that's totally true. At least I still have rhythm. Thank you, music theory and classical violin training!

I realized afterwards that I have not been in a tactical unit doing this shit in nine years. It's been longer than I thought.

I mentally indulged all those cadences on the run back since I had to teach less than an hour afterwards. I have schadenfreude. That is not an epiphany.

My knees hurt. I am not 21 anymore. That's not a big epiphany either.

Ingress to start was amazingly fast. I am not sure how or why I was able to hold such a speed going in (although it's overall downhill coming into the start) and overall uphill coming back, but the egress was surprisingly fast, although my legs were burning by the end. I also took two days off, so that might be a factor too.

Splits
SGMT AGGRG SEGMT PERMI AVGPC DIST
1.12 08:44 08:44 07:48 07:48 1.12
3.14 39:01 30:17 09:39 09:10 4.26
1.27 49:30 10:29 08:15 08:57 5.53

No comments:

Post a Comment