Monday, May 30, 2011

A different kind of memorial

I'll post my thoughts on Memorial Day under separate correspondence, but I was, as is my custom, watching the final of the NCAA Division I lacrosse championship, this year between Maryland and Virginia.

I found myself, a diehard Johns Hopkins lacrosse fan, in the unusual spot of cheering for the Maryland Terrapins. The Terps' road was particularly difficult for one player, Ryan Young, whose mother died of pancreatic cancer this past season. While she had been memorialized by the purple shirts the coaching and support staff wore, as well as the MY (for Maria Young) stickers on their helmets, this particular tribute (left) was the most poignant for me. Ryan's twin brother and older brother before him both played for Duke, so they had skin in the game as well.

I was disappointed that Maryland didn't prevail - but one could also argue that Virginia had a bumpy ride to the championship as well. Between relieving two of their starting midfielders for violating team rules, as well as losing other key players along the way, there were few, if any, who predicted that Virginia would go all the way to the national championship. I find it particularly notable that Bray Malphrus, one of the captains of the Virginia team, specifically emphasized that Virginia lacrosse (especially after the incidents surrounding the death of Yeardley Love last year) needed to change its public image. Not too often you see that realization in public among players of a sport normally stereotyped as a sport of sons of privilege.

Congratulations to Virginia and Maryland for their achievements this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment