Thursday, January 07, 2010

1.1 + 1.1mi, time not recorded, 7 JAN 10, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

iThink: none.

WX at 0900: 6 (-14) DP 1 (-17) BP 30.29 (1025) WNW 21 blowing snow RH 79
WX at 1800: 3.9 (-15.6) DP -2.0 (-18.9) BP 30.39 (1029) WNW 16 blowing snow RH 75

Odometer: N/A

Z3.
Average/max heart rate = no reading.

This was a walk through snow to work this morning, and back. 1.1mi there, 1.1mi back along a different route. Part of this is an attempt to keep up some kind of a streak (although yesterday was a day of do nothing but eat, aside from about an hour of snow shoveling). I recognized I wouldn't be doing much running today the day after a major snowstorm, so I decided to walk in since I didn't trust the roads enough to drive. There was something curiously therapeutic in it all.

The winds were a tailwind coming out, so not as bad - although on the return leg, the winds stayed in the same direction and the temperature had dropped. I addressed some of that by a thin layer of Carmex on my face (not just my lips) which helped some. My Oakley M-Frames were fogged over with ice by the time I got back home. I'd originally started using Carmex when I was a Bradley scout platoon leader some 14 years ago. All the time I spent standing up in the hatch while on the go (generally sucking down engine exhaust) led to chapped lips. Carmex helped a lot.

I may consider packing my uniform in an assault pack and running on Yaktrax and wearing sweatgear. It'd be faster.

No Splits.

No comments:

Post a Comment