Monday, January 29, 2007

3.75mi, 31:32, 29 JAN 07, Fort Leavenworth KS

The Reputation, "Let It Rest"
Hilary Duff, "Wake Up"

WX at 1700: 35.1 (1.7) DP 19.0 (-7.2) BP 30.07 (1018) NW 17 pcdy RH 51 WC 24.9 (-3.9)

Odometer 2: 325.8mi

Z3 mid-high.

Since I'm playing single parent right now, my opportunities to do PT have dropped accordingly. Based on the inviolate law that I can never leave the Princess unattended, I have to choose wisely when I can do what I want to do.

That said, I figured 40 minutes was enough to squeeze in four miles. It wasn't. We got there late and I got a late start. On the other hand, when the dreadmill is the only alternative, it's the only alternative. It's times like that when I really do wish I had a Concept2 at the house. Unfortunately, the cost of the Concept is getting to the point where if I don't get one right away, it's just not going to happen (the same thing happened with my grandiose plan to buy a Lotus Super Seven a decade ago when I found one for $11,600 and couldn't convert on it fast enough to get it). The alternative is to get one through the C.R.A.S.H.-B used erg offer...but I gotta be in Cambridge, MA, and be prepared to pick up the day of the regatta...so probably not anytime soon, no matter how badly I want a Concept2.

Two things that drove today's workout:
1. My arthritis in my ankle is acting up. It was acting up earlier, but once I got on the dreadmill, it started to flare for about a mile, then subsided, somewhat.

2. The other was the lady who was two machines over, kind of waddling. She's a beginning runner, but I guess I've always been a little elitist about people running with headphones on, regardless of attire. Two reasons I never run with anything in my ears:

a. Self-preservation: Headphones block out the noise of cars or bikes coming towards me.

b. Synchronization: very rarely, if ever, do I find a song that happens to match my running tempo. As I understand, there are MP3 players out there that can change pitch and tempo to match (and I believe Nike makes a shoe that is supposed to sync an iPod to do that as well) but hard mental discipline works better for me. Besides, if I want to beat a song to death (as I did yesterday for almost 90 minutes) then I can, without expending power or batteries.

Initial split started at about 7mph, or about 8:34mpm. As I realized I wasn't going to make it, I progressively started speeding up, to the point where I was running 7:43mpm at the finish when I finally hit STOP and pulled off.

Splits
SGMT AGGRG SEGMT PERMI AVGPC DIST
3.75 31:32 31:32 08:25 08:25 3.75

No comments:

Post a Comment