Sunday, July 31, 2005

8.0mi trails, 91:53

Tommy Keene, "You Won't Find Me"
Tommy Keene, "Scam and the Flim Flam Man"

WX at 1100: 79.0 (26.1), DP 68.0 (20.0), BP 30.23 (1023), ESE 9 haze, RH 69%
WX at 1000: 77 (25), DP 69 (21), BP 30.23 (1023), E 6 haze, RH 76%

Odometer 3: 156.1mi

Z3 low-mid.
Resting heart rate before start = no reading.

Yet another installment of the Appalachian Trail! This time I decided to go north from the Condoguinet Creek and Scott Farm Trail Work Center to the top of North (Blue) Mountain and the Darlington Shelter, opposite the way I went last week.

There isn't much view from the Trail itself, but there is one spot that overlooks the Cumberland Valley a few hundred meters short of the summit, and it is glorious. Unfortunately, I was being harassed by bugs, mosquitoes at the bottom of the trail near the Condoguinet Creek, and higher up by flies and bees as I got further up the mountain.

Going up marked significant walking. There was just no way I could run up the grades in question at the same time as trying to negotiate the rocks and tree roots. I almost wiped out one or two times.

Going downhill, though, was awesome. It felt so relaxed going downhill that I didn't even worry about the relatively slow pace of about 10 minutes/mile.

Splits
Uphill: 51:14
Downhill: 40:39
Aggregate: 91:53

No comments:

Post a Comment