Monday, July 04, 2005

Competing sports on the Glass Tit

There are only two sports for which I make time to watch.

One is lacrosse. Currently, the only lacrosse on TV is Major League Lacrosse, televised Tuesdays by ESPN2. I tolerate it in spite of the fact that it mandates that everyone play with crap (Warrior Lacrosse) equipment.

The other is the Tour de France. When I was in Belgium in 2001, I was amazed to see that everybody and their second cousin were glued to televisions all over the country to see the TdF. And yet, it took Lance Armstrong's multiple wins to make Americans pay attention to it.

Call me biased, but I have a hell of a lot more respect for any rider in the TdF than I do for most American football, basketball, or baseball players. My bias could be partly because I don't give a flying fuck about American football, basketball, or baseball.

And in watching snippets of the TdF today, the talent and dedication of these guys never ceases to amaze me. Tom Boonen at the finish of Stage 3 today is absolutely unbelievable. Belgium has got to be going bananas right now. I think the only other thing that would top that would be some guy like Axel Merckx winning the overall as his dad Eddy did.

No comments:

Post a Comment