Saturday, July 23, 2005

6.3mi (8x400 intervals)

Descendents, "Jealous Of The World"

WX at 0900: 76 (24), DP 63 (17), BP 30.06 (1017.7), vrbl 7, RH 64%

Odometer 3: 134.6mi

Z4 mid-high
Resting heart rate before start = no reading today

I woke up late, slept in, but resolved to get out and do speedwork today, in spite of how much it was going to suck.

Heat is heat, regardless of what the thermometer says. It was particularly misleading since about half (as it turns out, the last half of the two-mile course I use for this speedwork) is shaded in the morning; the other side is in the open, which just sucks. 76 degrees is not 76 degrees when you're in direct sunlight.

I need a haircut. It's been a week and a half.

The rest times get progressively longer as I get further into the workout. I probably should work on that as I think I'm probably getting too much rest in between splits, but goddamn, it hurts.

The splits are getting faster. This is a promising indicator. I just have to work through it to get my max VO2 up to the point where I can run longer in the red zone, so to speak. While this is antithetical to marathon training (where you should never be in the red zone), I'll hang on until the physical fitness test is done. Then the focus will dramatically change to nothing but LSD.

Tomorrow entails some easy trail running and probably a hash in the afternoon. The hash should be an easy run, but in my natural frogginess, I found myself damn near close to the lead of the pack when I hashed Wednesday night, which entailed about 5 miles, albeit in the city where it's all fast.

To max the two-mile run for points, I need to run 13:18. To do that, I have to run at least 99 seconds per quarter mile of that two mile distance. Note that right now even my fastest leg today (and I was totally spent at the end of that leg) was only a 6:20 mile. The slowest today was 7:08. In general terms, that means I need to be running about regularly about 90 on the fast legs of this course.

There are two ways that might happen:
1 - significant cooling trend.
2 - unnatural intervention.

Uh-huh.

Splits
1: 103/2;22
2: 105/2:32
3: 102/2:39
4: 96/2:28
5: 101/2:41
6: 107/2:51
7: 97/2:55
8: 95/2:32

No comments:

Post a Comment