Tuesday, July 12, 2005

5.5mi (8x400 intervals)

Henry Rollins, "Drive-By Shooting"
Henry Rollins, "Ex-Lion Tamer"

WX at 0700: 72 (22), DP 63 (17), BP 30.06 (1017.7), NW 3, RH 73% haze

Odometer 3: 106.6mi

Z4 high intervals
Resting heart rate before start = 54 (135/88)

Time to make good on the promise...as much as I dislike the pain of doing intervals, I realized there was no better opportunity to do them than on a two-mile cinder trail where each quarter mile is marked.

I spent a large chunk of yesterday afternoon trapped in traffic on I-270 leaving Washington, D.C., tarnishing the allure of an assignment to the National Capital Region. I mean, damn.

These intervals hurt, but not as much as I thought. It's a reasonably proven workout, one I used to do at Hopkins when I ran winter track.

Interestingly enough, the course goes uphill slightly in the first half mile and a little more in the second, but it does amaze somewhat of the consistency of the times. That's a promising indicator.

Since that's the track I expect my class'll use for its physical fitness test, I'll need to remember not to get demoralized in the first mile when it comes time. I'd really like to get under 90 for the 3/4/7/8 splits, but that'll depending on training.

I know I definitely have the base required to do it...the trick is just how much speedwork can I get away with without breaking myself down?

Splits
1: 103
2: 111
3: 97
4: 97
5: 105
6: 111
7: 97
8: 97

No comments:

Post a Comment