Monday, May 30, 2005

This Is The Standard

For all you Johns Hopkins faithful, it's about goddamn time.

Johns Hopkins defeated Duke (who had the absolutely most lethal attack I have ever seen in Division I) 9-8 to win the national championship today for the first time since 1987.

Oh, yeah, it's in the only team sport I follow. That would be lacrosse.

Whatever other collateral activities (football, basketball, baseball) are out there I quota out at 30 minutes a year. Any watching above those amounts for those other three incidental sports is too much.

As a diehard JHU lacrosse fan for 16 years, it's nice to know they finally followed up.

The importance of the lacrosse championship is not to be overestimated in the cultural identity of The Johns Hopkins University. As a high school student touring the Hopkins campus in 1989, there was still a relatively pristine copy of Lacrosse (the journal of what at the time was the Lacrosse Foundation, before it morphed into USLacrosse) that featured Hopkins' win over Cornell in the Division I final. That issue of Lacrosse was two years old at the time.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray!

    I didn't see it, just read about it, but I'd like to say "Hooray!" again all the same.

    ReplyDelete