Saturday, November 12, 2016

A memory of my childhood



When I was a kid, I used to go over to a friend's house as he had a RCA Selectavision VCR.  It was an old one as it had manual tuner knobs for VHF and UHF.  One of the movies that got a lot of repeat viewing was Midway, which fit in well with my ambition at the time to be a naval aviator.

It wasn't until much later that I realized it was a John Williams soundtrack, the most prominent piece of which was the Men of Yorktown march, as featured above.  If there was a leitmotif of something I remember from being a kid, that was one of the touchstones.

As an adult, having been a plans officer in combat, it is much, much harder for me now to watch the scenes filmed for Torpedo 8 and Torpedo 3's attack on the Combined Carrier Force.  It's not real life.  It's not ground combat.  That's not the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment