Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Some idle thought

I've been spending more time on the computer at the hooch than I think normally would lately.
 
Some of this is undoubtedly the pressures of my current job, which is pretty much the most frustrating job I've had.  There are very few extrinsic motivators in this job - all of it is either protecting the people who I work with, or knowing that I was able to get some things in that needed to be said.

Other than that, I've spent a fair amount of time reading or listening to things that take me away from this place.  Of the deployments I've been on, this is the one after which I will probably never look back.  There's a sense of closure that I'm getting out of this job that I wouldn't have gotten out of my last trip to Afghanistan.  But there's no sense that I still have unfinished work to do.  When I'm done, I will leave with no regrets.

Maybe the job will change - but right now, I don't think so.  I'm not a Christian, but Acts 13:51 comes to mind as I think about this job.  I'll do the best I can at it - but it is increasingly harder to be emotionally invested.

No comments:

Post a Comment