Tuesday, May 26, 2009

2.8mi + lift, 26:44, 26 MAY 09, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

iThink:
"Johnny Hopkins On to Victory"
Rob Zombie, "Feel So Numb"

WX at 0600: 64.0 (17.8) DP 64.0 (17.8) BP 29.66 (1004) NW 6 light rain; mist RH 100

Odometer 1: 20.7mi

Z3.
Average/max heart rate = no reading.

I realized it's been 15 years since I graduated from Johns Hopkins, although my recalling the song the JHU pep band played at the end of each game is after watching Cornell lose in overtime to Syracuse in yesterday's NCAA Division I lacrosse final. I was disappointed as I was rooting for the Big Red on this one, since they weren't the Cruisers and I root for the underdog.

After four days of screwing off and doing nothing more than eating, it was time to get back on the stick.

My comments from yesterday are in some part because I still feel some sliver of responsibility for the combat fatalities resulting from the plans I wrote when I was in Afghanistan. Memorial Day's not just a barbeque day, and it's not just a goddamn day off, either. I don't want to call it a holy day of obligation, but I find that my rather punishing view of duty tends to sit, as Vice Admiral James Stockdale once said, "in the desk drawer marked 'too hard.'"

My unforgiving view of those who lack the talent or desire to exercise professional commitment may not ingratiate me to people. I also find, that, after a while, I don't give a damn.

As to be expected, I'm getting bigger...and unfortunately, I'm not losing much in the way of weight. I figured as much. On the other hand, it also means that my relative percentage of body fat is decreasing. That's encouraging, somewhat, although maybe not if I want to run a marathon next January. The run times are not encouraging in themselves today.

Splits
SGMT AGGRG SEGMT PERMI AVGPC DIST
1.39 13:08 13:08 09:27 09:27 1.39
1.39 26:44 13:36 09:47 09:37 2.78

No comments:

Post a Comment