Saturday, October 14, 2006

Iraqi patriots

I was respectful of my Iraqi Security Forces counterparts, but this is a tragedy indeed.

Sectarian violence will be the undoing of the Iraqi state. In a country composed of such wildly different demographics, I have to wonder why we didn't study our history and maybe consider a federation after all.

That said, I did not know about the Scorpions; but the Iraqi Counter Terrorism Force (ICTF), the élite Iraqi military special operations unit, was very, very good indeed. I don't dish out the descriptor of élite much - but the ICTF's professional competence - tied to their strong nonsectarian identity. They weren't Shia, they weren't Sunni, they weren't Kurds - but they were definitely Iraqi patriots, as was COL Mamuri.

These Iraqi patriots are our best chance to prevent Iraq from tanking.

No comments:

Post a Comment