Friday, October 27, 2006

computers are evil, but so are standardized tests

I had occasion to take, on Thursday, the Graduate Record Exam for the first time in over a decade. When I took it in 1996, I remember it to be one of the more punishing, harrowing tests I've taken in a while.

The GRE is, for all intents and purposes, a version of the SAT on steroids and crystal meth. I would've thought, that as an Army officer, that I'd have a reasonable grasp on how to answer the critical reasoning questions on the GRE. Oh, hell, no.

This new one is the first ETS test I've taken that was done as a Computer Adaptive Test. I was too busy trying to figure out how to answer some of the questions to realize that feeling like I was getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly by the test was actually a good indicator. I was more concerned about not finishing the test in time, as unlike the old SAT, there is no penalty for answering questions wrong on the GRE. I can't speak for the current SAT.

I routinely do a lot better on the verbal than I do on the math portions of standardized tests, but I was gratified to know that my GRE scores this time were higher than any other standardized test I've taken, if the unofficial scores are any indicator.

I did actually study up for the GRE this time, unlike the grand total of 1 day's preparation I did for the GRE the last time. I think my improved performance has a lot to do with actually practicing on the test this time around.

There is something to be said for UI, and while the one for the GRE sucks, it's the same as the one that they distribute for free on their PowerPrep software off their website. Practicing on their software beforehand seriously saved my bacon.

I hope I never have to take another standardized test from the Educational Testing Service again, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment