Thursday, November 03, 2005

5.5mi, 58:10, 3 November 2005, COB Speicher IZ

AC/DC, “Shoot to Thrill”
The Story, “Grace in Gravity”

Odometer 4: 108.3mi

Z3 high to steady state.

Iraq is surprisingly cold. After running in Kuwait where it’s still warm and dry and extremely breezy, it’s cool to cold and dry and breezy. Reportedly, it changed about a week ago, although I’d much rather have this weather than the hot and shitty that normally characterizes the area.

The place where I’m staging is an old air base, and it’s amazingly large. I anticipate being able to get in some good long runs, although I’m still learning the place. The usual occupational hazards of being in a combat zone, whether death by small arms fire, mortars, rockets, or just plain misadventure still exist, but I’m thankful for being in a place with, well, concrete and some indoor plumbing, at least where I work.

Today’s running mantras contrast to make a weird cognitive dissonance for which I have no good explanation.

47:06 from start around Crackhouse Village down to Iron Eagle
2:22 from Iron Eagle to next road
7:09 to end of road
1:31 back to Tent City 2

No comments:

Post a Comment