Tuesday, April 05, 2005

A Whole Lot Of Nothing

This morning was a taper day for the physical fitness test I take tomorrow morning.

Sum total exercise for today was 40 pushups, 50 situps, and walking up a few flights of stairs at work.

On the other hand, today's mail brought with it Echelons and Coalesced, respectively the first and latest albums by For Against, a Lincoln, NE band I've been following since 1989. As a high school student I would religiously check the listings in the stores for For Against after I bought their first album December.

Like a few other alt-music obsessions, I attribute my For Against obsession to WDCE FM 90.1, the student-run radio station at the University of Richmond. Richmond itself is a depressingly conservative city, but its student radio station was so bleeding edge alternative as to astound the imagination. Thus, if you wanted to hear something other than top-40, AOR, or easy listening, WDCE was the only station available. The first time I heard For Against was sometime in 1988, so it would have been something off Echelons.

The other band to which I attribute WDCE's influence is Game Theory.

For tomorrow: gotta figure out what to indoctrinate into the iThink for the 2-mile run.

Previous favorites:
The Cure, "A Forest" (Trees Mix)
The Smiths, "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" (also the Ocean Blue cover of the same song)
Henry Rollins, "Drive-By Shooting" (which I also used as a mantra during 400m repeats during college track)
Journey, "Only The Young" (q.v., opening credits to the film Vision Quest)
Corrosion of Conformity, "What(?)"
The Reputation, "The Stars of Amateur Hour"

Given recent music selections, mewithoutYou, "January 1979" is the frontrunner for tomorrow morning. So far.

1 comment:

  1. Ever since I heard about the music Haile Gebrselassie would request for record attempts on the track, I've had a sort of mental collection of songs I'd want for "my record attempt." Sometimes even different songs for different distances. I should make up the playlist someday.

    ReplyDelete