Wednesday, April 06, 2005

record APFT, 294 points

What I listened to on the way in: mewithoutYou, "January 1979"

The eventual two-mile run mantra: mewithoutYou, "January 1979"

WX at 0700: 51 (11), DP 51 (11), BP 30.21 (1023), Calm, fog, RH 100%

Raw scores:
80 pushups. 100 points, 75 required to max.
77 situps. 100 points, 76 required to max.
14:00 run. This sucked ass! I did NO speedwork in getting ready for this and it showed. I had lots of power left in the legs, but nothing for oxygen content. Lesson learned: next time, I gotta force myself to do speedwork. The taper was fine. My legs were fine. I just couldn't breathe enough to turn around a faster time, and so my time was 32 seconds slower than the last time. I knew I was in trouble when I hit the first mile in 6:48. Bad, bad, bad. I knew I didn't have it in me to run a negative split today.

I tapped in at 181 pounds, 2 over allowable. My computed body fat after tape test ended up being around 19.5% or so.

I could do the easy thing and just do LSD from here on out, since I don't have to take another APFT until September, but if I'm smart I really should start interspersing it with speedwork about a month and a half out.

This is the converse of the running idiom, "speed kills, do LSD." Should have done the inverse to get ready for today. I just loathe doing speedwork.

So...while I met my personal standard of 290 or above, I didn't meet my goal of a 300. A 300 is achievable, but the hard part will be doing the unpleasant things required to get there from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment