Friday, April 22, 2005

The Unrestrained Use of Excessive Schlock

I bought The Final Countdown on disk today. Now I'd seen it on tape a few years ago, but not in a THX-remastered DVD print, and it looks pretty good.

With that said: 22 years ago when I saw it on the big screen, I thought it was the heat. At the time, I aspired towards naval aviation as a career path (ha, ha, ha).
Nothing is quite so Kafkaesque as seeing a Korean actor dressed in an Imperial Japanese Navy Flying Corps uniform, speaking Japanese to someone over the 1-MC...in a Korean accent. Transparent to a 3rd grader, but I sure as hell notice it now!

Fucking American films.

More to follow when I get a chance.

1 comment:

  1. Is it wrong that I immediately hear Europe in my head when someone mentions the words "the final countdown"? Yeah, I was afraid of that.

    ReplyDelete