Saturday, April 23, 2005

A Difficult Journey Finally Complete


Thor (11/19/1992 - 4/23/2005) on February 5, 2005

Thor died this morning at about 9:15am.

I brought him to the animal hospital and had to carry him into the car and into the hospital, because he couldn't walk this morning and had very labored breathing.

When the doctor finally got to him, she immediately brought him back to the surgery room attempting to keep him going, but he expired on the table. I think he was conscious, but his heart finally quit. He had been in some pain in the last few days, but this morning was the end. I think I realized, but not at the gut level, that his labored breathing this morning meant that he was dying.

He was a faithful companion. When he was younger, he would go road marching or running with me. Eventually he got to the point where he was too old to keep up, but every day I came home from work, he was the first to greet me at the door. Thursday was the last day I got that privilege.

I'm not a religious man, but I have to believe that he's in a better place now.

Rest in peace, Thor. You earned it.

2 comments:

  1. Ah...that's very tough. You have my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was a good dog. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete