Tuesday, April 12, 2005

6.0mi, 47:12

The Bats, "Courage"
Velocity Girl, "Labrador"
mewithoutYou, "January 1979"

WX at 0800: 41.0 (5.0), DP 19.9 (-6.7), BP 30.19 (1022), winds ESE 5, RH 42%

Odometer 1: 388mi

Z3 high
Resting heart rate before start = no reading

First time in Carlisle, PA since 1994.

I was afraid today was going to be unpleasantly cold, but it actually ended up being pretty good running weather. Not windy, and for 41 degrees, I probably could have gone one level lower on snivel gear (t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, and shorts). I was a little apprehensive since I'm up here for a week and I went light on running togs. Fortunately, I finished the run without pink legs (an indicator that I wore far too little), so it all worked out pretty well.

Carlisle is pretty flat, which makes me wonder how Dickinson managed to so consistently crush us (as in we damn near got shut out every time we ran dual meets against them) when I was running for Johns Hopkins, long, long ago. Then again, I never particularly minded running against Dickinson, if for no reason that their women's team was so unbelievably hot (in appearance, at least) that I invariably stuck around to watch the women's race as well (and partly because it's just the right thing to do when the men's and women's teams were racing against the same school on the same day).

Carlisle isn't a particularly running-friendly place for terrain. There's not much in the way of shoulders on which to run (at least, where I went) and since it sits on the confluence of I-81 and I-76, it gets a lot of traffic, even at 7:15am.

This was also my chance to scout the area since I'll be here for three months starting in mid-June. The odor coming off farmland to the east of the downtown area was noticeable even in the cold. I can only imagine what it'll smell like in the summer. Yummy.

Splits
None. Overall pace 7:54/mi

1 comment:

  1. I was assistant Clerk of Course for Dickinson's conference track meet in '00 (held at Muhlenberg) and yes, they're still hot. Not sure how they continued to be fast, but they did that. Maybe having to run against Haverford in their conference made a difference.

    That scent is manure being spread. There's plenty of it around here nowadays. Unless it's a factory cattle farm (or hogs - hogs really reek) it won't persist into summer.

    ReplyDelete