Monday, April 18, 2005

My pet is ill

A few years ago, I went off to the National Training Center on business. At the time, we had two dogs, Thor and Diana, who were siblings. Diana suffered from arthritis from time to time, and we kept them outside for the most part unless it was so cold that Household6 relented and allowed them to stay in the kitchen.

Diana developed a slipped disk and was in horrible pain about a day or two before I was supposed to return from NTC. I got back in time enough to see her before we made the very difficult, but necessary decision to euthanize her. She was 10 at the time in chronological years.

Thor survived her, and has been doing pretty well, but is showing further signs of aging. When I left for Carlisle Barracks, he was active. I got back, and he seemed okay, if a little slower. Today, when I returned from work, he wasn't running to the door to greet me. He was sitting with his back to me, and his head was hanging. He was totally different; he was almost unresponsive and lying passively.

So far, he's gone outside once in the last six hours to defecate and drank water once a few hours ago. He hasn't eaten anything and won't drink anything presented to him. In the meantime, he's been lying on the floor. I had to carry him away from the front door so that the doorway was clear.

Tomorrow I'm taking him to the vet. I'm worried, and not a little fearful. I think Thor is dying.

1 comment: