Sunday, July 26, 2009

10,000m on Concept2 Model D, 42:46, 26 JUL 09, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

iThink: Bear McCreary, "Elegy"

WX at 0900: 75.0 (23.9) DP 64.0 (17.8) BP 30.03 (1016) NNE 6 RH 68

Odometer 4: 316.0mi equivalency

Z4, Z5 finish.
Average/max heart rate = no reading

Today's weather is ridiculously nice and I felt mildly criminal not going for a run, but my knees won't permit it.

I decided to take a slightly different take on getting to the Concept2 machines at the gym, and rode my bike there.

This follows a trend over the last two months where I've made a conscious effort to cycle commute to work as the available parking is so shitty that I might as well walk. It has to be a torrential downpour before I consider not riding my bike.

The usual routine for most workouts involving the Concept is to go faster than usual at the start, slow down as I warm up, and then finish hard. The norm is that I usually feel like woofing as I finish. I never have to worry about thinking I didn't work hard enough on the row. My desire to vomit (and my concomitant desire not to do so on a hardwood gym floor) is the constant.

Today was a little different as I started feeling some of the nausea about 6000m into today's session. I was averaging about 170 watts at the start, around 160-165 midway, and for the last 400-500m, was going in excess of 190 watts, peaking somewhere above 200 watts. I'm guessing the nausea is coming from the increase in hydrogen ions in the muscles resulting from lactate buildup...although I suspect, if I did this more often (and given the current state of my knees this is likely) the woof factor will decrease.

The side effect of rowing is that my upper back tends to get bigger as I work it harder. This was particularly apparent with some sport coats and jackets.

Splits
Distance: 10000
Time: 00:42:46
Per 500m: 02:08
Drag Factor : 198
Per Mile: 00:06:53

No comments:

Post a Comment