Tuesday, September 12, 2006

10,076m in two legs on Concept2 Model D, 44:31, 12 SEP 06, Carlisle Barracks PA

Hilary Duff, "Wake Up"
Basil Poledouris, "Directive IV"

WX at 0600: 59.0 (15.0), DP 48.9 (9.4), BP 30.3 (1026), Calm overcast, RH 69%

Odometer 1: 401.6mi

Z4 spin.

I know it seems pretty damned incongruous to mix Hilary Duff and a particularly reflective track from Basil Poledouris' soundtrack to RoboCop.

On the other hand, it's been almost a year since I've been to Carlisle Barracks. It's an installation that, if someone offered me orders, I'd take in about a split second. After my experience there last summer (which I'd casually, but undeniably call the best Army school I ever attended), I'm wistful. No regrets.

That being said, I'm trying to figure out why I was killing myself just to hold 2:10/500m pace. On my second 5000m leg, after about a break of about a minute and a half, I went through a rhythm where I was resting at about 2:18-2:20 pace doing palm-up pull-ups in the seat for about 500m, then more deliberate effort for 1000m. It might've been the amount of beer I drank last night, or relative lack of sleep (8 hours in the last two days), but it's also a basic fact that the Concept2 Model D here at Carlisle is in a hell of a lot better shape than the Model C at Leavenworth. The rail on the one at Leavenworth tends to skip if I stroke at any angle. The action on the ones here at Carlisle is rock-solid...but the Model D is also built differently than the Model C.

I'd say I was running a drag factor of about 100-105. I started at a drag factor of 117 and it wasn't working for me - but in this case, I was shooting for speed, not for raw power like I was last year, when I'd crank the resistance to 10 rather than the 5.5 I had it on this morning. Still, drag factor varies among machines by settings; hence the use of drag factor to set the resistance.

I'll be playing with lower drag factors to see where it takes me when I get back to Leavenworth.

I still want a Model D of my own...eventually.

Splits
5076m: 22:24
5000m: 22:07

No comments:

Post a Comment