Friday, December 17, 2004

Jump 59, Ste Mêre Eglise DZ, A/NT and static J

Chris Stamey, "Insomnia"

Drop altitude 1250 feet AGL, time of drop approximately 1050
WX at 1100: 46(8), DP 21 (-6), winds 0 at surface, RH about 35%.

Today was wacky. And cold. Temperature at manifest call was 28(-2). Chilly!

Mean effective winds this morning at the outset were 12.5 knots. They were 0 at ground level and about 25 knots from the west at drop altitude. The wind shift occurred around 500 feet.

My JM duty today involved a hell of a lot beer math since I wasn't dropping off the panel markings this morning. I was estimating for an early release and judged about right. None of my jumpers landed in the trees.

My jump was about as good as it gets. Unfortunately, I forgot to count on the way out. Bad, bad, bad. Fortunately, I jumped a size 4 parachute harness and was remarkably free of any riser burns on the side of my face...and had a good clean exit with no twists. Routinely, I've been jumping a size 3 harness, but to account for my fat head (and probably my fat ass as well...), I need to go a size up. It worked out. Looks like I'll be jumping a size 4 from here on out...

With no surface wind, I was able to steer to a specific location, and it was fun. Boy, do I love jumping steerable parachutes.

Six more left! Next jump probably won't be until January.

No comments:

Post a Comment