Friday, December 24, 2004

Get your fat ass in the holiday spirit

I've been on the Dead Runners Society list over the last decade or so (I first subscribed to the list in fall 1991). I heard about a most disturbing event in the last week.

I've always been somewhat of an iconoclast, but this pushes the limits of reasonable iconoclasm. Nonetheless, the Santa Speedo Run sounds like something I might actually want to do just for the sheer go-to-hell factor. Note the required attire and, more notably, the time, date, and place.

The thought of running through Boston in the proverbial jock strap, balaclava, and a light coat of oil is a mite scary. Also note the almost completely male field in this running event.

I'm also reminded of a few of my friends from the Woodberry Forest School who used to occasionally do "nude dude runs" during our prep school years as an act of rebellion. WFS is, and will continue to be in the forseeable future, an all-boys boarding school.

No comments:

Post a Comment