Saturday, February 01, 2014

5.0mi on dreadmill, 42:46, 1 FEB 14, Kabul, Afghanistan

Today is day 71 of the campaign.

iThink:
Chris Richards and the Subtractions, "Don't Do Anything Tonight"
Tommy Keene, "Running For Your Life"

WX at 1 PM (18) Feb 01 37 (3) 35 (2) 30.15 (1021) WNW 7 light rain; mist

Odometer 13B: 133.2mi

Z4. Average/max heart rate = 165/178

Today was an unusual run, not so much because it was late at night (by most peoples' standards, although not mine lately). It was unusual because I had been going reasonably hard (at what I considered anaerobic threshold pace) and I was watching X-Men Origins: Wolverine on the glass tit in the gym. I realized it because I was going mostly hard, and watching the part where Wolverine loses something important to him, I realized that my dark side is not really that far away.

I had not felt that kind of cathartic fury in a long, long time. I ran most of the pace at 7mph, or about 8:34/mi pace. In the last half mile, I turned it up to 8:00/mi and the degree of rage I had in me was something that I found a little uncomfortable, even for me.

I'm a big fan of getting my catharsis out, but it's been a while since I've felt the kind of anger (and I'd say largely unfounded at that) that causes me to go that hard.

It's one thing to run hard, and to feel better for having done so, but I realized I was in the sort of mood that tends to really unsettle people, and even I find that generally unconstructive.

Splits
SGMT AGGRG SEGMT PERMI AVGPC DIST
5.00 42:46 42:46 08:33 08:33 5.00

No comments:

Post a Comment