Friday, August 20, 2004

Jump 50, Ste Mere Eglise DZ, A/NT

No run today.

I did get a nice view of Raeford, NC before doing my first-ever jumpmaster pass exit from 3,000 feet above ground level with a MC1-1D parachute.

Literally every other jump I've done is from 1500, 1250, or most commonly, 800 feet AGL.

Jumping from any of those altitudes just doesn't prepare you for a descent measured in minutes (rather than a minute or two if you're lucky), in a steerable parachute.

There are times I feel apprehensive about jumping out of planes. That apprehension almost always goes away as soon as I'm out of the plane. There are times I think I might miss this, and maybe doing colossally fucking stupid, yet intensely entertaining activities like static line parachuting shouldn't be part of my job description, but it sure is fun, and by god, I even get paid extra to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment