Thursday, August 12, 2004

estimate 7mi, 65:40

Corrosion of Conformity, "Indifferent"
Georg Friedrich Handel, Water Music

WX at 0600: 71.1(21.7), DP 66.9(19.4), BP 29.92(1013), winds SSE6 mist. Best guess RH was about 80%.

Shoe odometer: 18mi

I need to sit down with a map and paper and map distances old school style. I don't have any SID imagery of the DC area, and I don't have the ability to map with FalconLite (as far as I know). I do have a 1:50,000 CADRG of the area so there's a good start.

Hills were difficult again. After hitching up on the trail that handrails the George Washington Parkway from the Key Bridge, (near Theodore Roosevelt Island) I realized that it was just like driving. You take a wrong turn, you're stuck with it! By the end, I was hoping I'd be able to Zen my way back to the hotel before I hit the wall. Lots of Z3, some Z4 going uphill. Z2 mostly downhill.

The hills in Arlington are officially no joke. Neither is the traffic. The trail is the place to go, but I need to print out the guide at www.rundc.com (which unfortunately requires Java) so I have something to work with.

There were a lot of curvy Beautiful People in form-fitting technical garb on the trail, though. There were some bikes, but they were pretty good about signaling so they didn't run me down.

Not fast due to the extensive hills near the end. Some parts of the run were quicker, but they were also downhill!

No comments:

Post a Comment