Friday, August 06, 2004

6.57mi (10,600m), 50:48 race

Stabbing Westward, cover of "Bizarre Love Triangle"
The Connells, "Fun and Games"

It was supposed to be a 10K. 10K my ass! Where did the other .37mi come from?
Slow start. Indeed, probably one of the most relaxed, slowest starts of any race I've run. By mile 3 I had worked off most of the kinks and by mile 4 I was running at race pace, probably just under 7:30/mi.

Doing the math, the aggregate pace per mile ended up being 7:41. I can live with that, no problem. Given that most of my training runs I'm not coming close to that perceived speed, that's definitely a good sign.

Two contributing factors:

1. I ate a Powerbar and a Powergel an hour before start time. They should have hit about the time the race started. I've used both in 10mi races in the past to good effect.
2. Another piece to this was the uncharacteristically cool weather this morning:
At 0700: T 66(19), DP 64(18), BP 29.83(1010), winds variable 5.
This is literally the coolest day I've ever seen in Fayetteville this (or for that matter, any) summer.

Tomorrow's supposed to be more the same. Looks like I'll be putting in a long run tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment