Sunday, July 16, 2006

5,000 meters on Concept Model C, 21:10

Michael Kamen, opening credits to From The Earth To The Moon

First time in a little while. Instead of a longer 10k, I decided to spin for a 2k sprint, followed by a 3k finisher. Aggregate time was 21:10, although my split hack was at 8:10. This is nothing to write home about, but it is markedly faster than my usual 10k pace of 2:15/500m. I was hoping to hold at about 2:00/500m, but I don't think I have the raw power to sustain over the endurance period - which might offer some better ideas for what I want to do after I get done with an upcoming Army Physical Fitness Test.

8:10 won't qualify me in any way, shape, or form for the Charles River All Stars Has-Beens (or C.R.A.S.H.-B. for short) regatta (I would compete in the 30-39 heavy category) but I'm not that ambitious, either. For me to qualify light, I'd have to drop under 165lbs. Short of going to Ranger or SERE school (not interested in either), that won't be happening anytime soon.

I was thinking as I finished that 21:12 might have been more appropriate as I was listening to some Rush on the way to the gym, but apparently not. No big deal, though.

This will be the first physical fitness test I taper for without doing any specific push-up or sit-up work, so it'll be somewhat of an acid test to see whether the Concept was a credible substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment