Thursday, November 04, 2004

SCRATCH - Jump 54 attempt

Michael Kamen, Band of Brothers suite 2

This is actually the second scratch in a row.

Last time I was waiting for the ceiling to lift and it never did. I ended up waiting about five hours on the ground.

Today it was only two or three hours. We were hoping there wouldn't be rain. By the time I'd gotten chuted up a few drops started to fall. Then it started and I knew it would get called off.

I harbored the hope that it might be light enough where I could get a jump in the rain (which I've done a few times, but not often). Jumping in the rain is not that strange; the parachute doesn't handle any differently, although it has to be policed quickly because it has to be dried out (to prevent mildewing of the nylon) before being repacked. The wacky part of jumping in the rain is often not clearing the clouds until you're about to land.

I did that once at night where I jumped in fog with a ceiling of approximately 250 feet. I remember descending seeing shadowy figures of parachutes in the fog near me, then breaking through the clouds a little above the trees prior to my landing.

I'm hoping for tomorrow morning, since I'm supposed to pull a jumpmaster duty tomorrow. Got another jump scheduled for Monday morning as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment