Monday, November 15, 2004

Jump 57, Sicily DZ, A/NT

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, "Toy Symphony"

Drop altitude 1500 feet AGL, time of drop approximately 1115

WX at 1100: 53 (12), DP 28 (-2), winds variable 2, unlimited vis, RH about 37%

New policy changes almost scratched this jump. Almost ran out of time trying to get enough jumpers done. Ugly, ugly, ugly. The guys running the jump did their best to get the jumpers up and done, and made it happen-- a credit to the jumpmaster teams that did it.

I can't seem to catch a break. I caught another gust today and landed sideways. I had enough presence of mind to steer clear of any trails, to include the one where I broke my leg in three places four years ago. I did have a fairly hard parachute landing fall. Feet, calf, left hip. Ouch. Either that, or I'm starting to get careless, which is bad, bad, bad.

I thought I had a fairly good textbook exit, but my risers were twisted about halfway up to the anti-inversion net. Consequently, I must have goofed somewhere, but I don't know where. It looked okay, felt okay, but wasn't okay. I recovered in due course, gained canopy control, and steered to my eventual landing spot. Eight more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment