Thursday, July 29, 2010

My vengeful heart

Looking darkly upon Hector,
Swift-footed Achilles answered,
“I cannot forgive you,
As there are no trustworthy oaths between men and lions,
There can be no love between you and me.
One or the other must fall before then to glut with his blood
Ares, the god who fights under the shield’s guard.
Remember every valor of yours,
For now the need comes hardest upon you
To be a spearman and a bold warrior.
There shall be no escape for you.
You will pay in a lump
For all the sorrows of my companions you killed
In your spear’s fury."

Homer, The Iliad, book XXIII

This is probably Bad for the Soul but I don't fucking care. The last sentence really sticks in my mind for some reason, but I've always been really, really slow to forgive. Ever.

revision: Yes, this is the Space: Above and Beyond rendition. I bought a copy of the Iliad afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment