Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Two Words of the Day: courage and rancor

"Courage...means hanging on for just one moment longer." I think of this, perhaps, after the last few months, where my coworkers and I have been saying to ourselves "we just have to make it through this month and maybe the workload will back off." We've been saying that since July and we're still just hanging on.

On the other hand, there's rancor. Right now, there are big wet hairy flakes of snow coming down where I am. At a steady rate. I think of the enemy, out in the snow, and the first thought that comes to mind is to let them freeze. If they want heat, then let 'em burn.

I've never denied my darker side - but I also usually don't celebrate death the way I have lately, either. We also lost three soldiers this past week - not as bad as the bad days of August, but an awful lot for the winter at once.

After a year of working over 16 hours a day, I realize that I have gotten to the point that David Drake wrote about in The Military Dimension, that war makes people insane by civilian standards. After they return, they may return to those civilian standards. After a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment