Tuesday, January 06, 2009

~6.0mi (simulated), 1 hour, 7 JAN 09, Bagram, Afghanistan

Day 330 of the campaign.

iThink: none.

WX at 0030: 23 (-5) DP 15 (-9) BP 30.12 (1020) WNW 5 mist RH 73

Odometer 4: 45.0mi estimate

Z2. By the calorie counter, 1000 calories.

Today is the Princess's birthday. I must call home later today. Period.

I decided to chicken out. I just didn't feel like taking on 23-degree cold, so I decided to wimp out a little less than the last two days and hit the elliptical machine. I realized this because my neck and cheeks are starting to get a little chubby, and that just won't do.

My legs will probably feel it tomorrow - but my skin and my knees won't, and that's okay.

No iThink tonight, because I decided to really fall off the wagon and started reading. I'd been reading Geoffrey Perret's Winged Victory, a detailed history of the US Army Air Force during World War II. Like Perret's other books, it's an irreverently good read, and really does a good job of highlighting the importance of the history behind the narrative in a way that never gets dry.

I was talking to one of my classmates from Fort Leavenworth on the phone today, and told him I've learned more about joint warfare in this job than in any other job I've ever had. It's also the most punishing job I've ever had, and that's why I think about where things are going, when I eventually leave Afghanistan.

But first, I must de-fattify myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment