Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Not Quite The Coolest Thing Ever

I can't believe Micro$oft is giving this away for free, in spite of its age.

I feel so retro it's criminal. I haven't used Word for DOS since...well, college.

I typed a large chunk of my sophomore thesis and senior thesis on Microsoft Word 3.0 running on a generic no-name 8088 laptop running, at the time, MS-DOS 3.3 on that box. The computer had a single 3.5" drive, parallel and serial ports, a supertwist grayscale LCD CGA screen and IIRC, 640K of RAM. I had a direct connect 300 baud modem that I could plug into one of the serial ports. (Yes, I was geek back then too.) Before being accused of being a Luddite, I was running Novell DOS (originally given life as DR-DOS from Digital Research before they got bought out by Novell in 1991) on my Northgate 386DX-20 at the time, which was my primary computer when I wasn't on the road.

All geekness aside - I had to download this one. Because!

No comments:

Post a Comment