Friday, January 03, 2014

10,000m on Concept2 Model D, 44:13.9, 3 JAN 14, Kabul, Afghanistan

Today is day 42 of the campaign.

iThink: None, because of the spin (stationary bicycle) class going on next door.  Couldn't get anything to stick.  Except some Kelly Clarkson song at the end of the workout while I was wiping down the erg.

WX at 11 PM (4) Jan 02     28 (-2)     17 (-8)     30.24 (1024)     Variable 2     haze

Odometer 13A: 405.6mi

Z4.  Average/max heart rate = 159/169

I guess I should probably replace my shoes at some point since my knees hurt when I run in these.  That in itself is not a big deal since these shoes aren't leaving Afghanistan, but given that I've washed my uniforms (which are permethrin-treated) with a lot of other stuff, there's some stuff (shirts, socks, underwear) that isn't coming home at the end of this because I won't want to put it in any other wash.

Today was another exercise in controlled pace.  If I can crank at what I felt was about anaerobic threshold (except for a somewhat undisciplined last 400m where I decided to go a bit harder) but still try to row out under 45 minutes for 10,000m, then I thought this was a useful workout.  Not too hard, not too easy.

I'm not sure how much point there is in easy workouts because my run distances are generally so short.  Because I'm not getting in a single long run on the weekend, I could coninue to go relatively hard just to build conditioning and burn lard, which are really my only goals.  Well, mostly the burning lard part.

As always, it's going to be a glorious day when there's smoke and haze in the air in the morning.  It'll be a minor miracle if I get out of this tour without black lung.

Splits
Distance:    10000
Time:    44:13.9
Avg/500m:    02:12.7
Drag Factor:    106
Per Mile:    00:07:07

No comments:

Post a Comment