Monday, June 19, 2006

On the move for the first time in seven years

One of the seemingly inviolate parts of being in the Green Polyester Industry is the requirement to move. I'd dodged that bullet as I'd spent 85 months between three units and six jobs at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

I am on orders, as it turns out, to the School of Advanced Military Studies at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. This is a great thing, a school that, if I had a buck for the number of times people had told me I needed to go to that school, that I'd be doing pretty well.

Household6 (or, as I have one of my fellow strategic plans and policy officers to thank, "the OPFOR Commander"), The Princess, and The Sledgehammer are all taking this forced transience with varying levels of difficulty. The hardest part of it for me was to depart the house that I'd called home for almost seven years. Thor and Diana, the dogs that Household6 had when we got married, both died during our time there, and I had their ashes scattered around the yard where they played. There is a Bradford pear tree that survived the winter of 2003 only because Thor took a leak on the tree every day for about six months. Not a preferred method, but Thor's Tree is alive only for that reason. It was hard to finally cut the ties - and taking the family there the day we departed was difficult and painful, but I think the closure was important and it was needed.

More to follow. I'm traveling with Peanut, our dog, in the Kübelwagen, my 2002 VW Passat station wagon; the others in the family are traveling in our 2005 Toyota Sienna minivan.

Good god I'd forgotten what a fucking pain in the ass it is to move. At least we're not packed so tight that I can't see out the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment