Monday, August 29, 2005

Latest Piece of Leisure Reading

Ralph Peters, The War In 2020

What a glum book. I remember seeing it on the Armor Center's reading list once, long ago. An interesting view of futures (particularly since I hold a specialty that generally lends itself doing futures work), and somewhat parochial in its views, but a pretty engaging read. It took me about two hours tonight when I probably should've been reading doctrine for homework instead.

It's amazing how knowledge of certain dynamics of national and military policy change how you view certain books. In that respect, my attendance at Carlisle Barracks this summer has been nothing short of transformational, even if it underscores my desire to get back with troops in a general staff with troops assignment as a division planner.

In spite of all this, all I really want to do is drink Absente instead. I picked up a bottle at Wells Discount Liquors in Baltimore this past weekend. Then again, I want to go for a long run tomorrow and maybe that's not such a brilliant idea. I guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment