Sunday, February 06, 2005

The Festival of Fat Americans

Fuck the Super Bowl. There. I said it.

The Super Bowl is traditionally my prompt to do anything that has nothing to do with some annual televised activity. I'm reminded of being in Europe and seeing an utter lack of dumpy people on the streets. It could be because they're not sitting on their ass watching American football in the annual lard-a-thon called the Super Bowl.

Real (i.e., not American) football fans, on the other hand, couldn't care less who's in the Super Bowl because NFL players could only dream of being as well-known as David Beckham. Or something like that.

A brief retrospective:
1997 - went to Crittenberger MPRC at Fort Hood to talk to the unit I would eventually command. They were shooting gunnery that day so I decided to try to get the ear of the squadron commander and the troop commander. I guess it worked out. No glass tit that day.
1998 - Internet relay chat, Copperas Cove, TX.
1999 - Internet relay chat while at the Combined Arms and Services School of Loose Morals...but that's a different story for a different day.
2000 - I don't remember, but I don't recall watching it that year either.
2001 - No recollection, not offhand. But not watching.
2002 - I was at Fort Knox for gunnery. My guys were in the officers' club. I went to the shoppette after making sure my guys were well situated and had a ride back.
2003 - I don't remember.
2004 - I was at a friend's house with Maura and the kids. I saw some of the game. I didn't exceed the 30 minute catastrophic cap. I didn't see the halftime show, but did note the truly fucking sophomoric character of the ads that year.
2005 - Snippets, but most of what I watched during that time was the movie Dumbo since it was on Disney Channel. I was at my in laws' house.

And maybe, the 2004 description describes where my ire at the Super Bowl comes from...although it might actually make the knuckle-dragging elements of American society learn what Roman numerals are what since they'll hit 40 next year. The erudite would use XL...but knowing America, I'll be seeing spots for Super Bowl Quad-X next year.

People raise hell about the Janet Jackson halftime show in 2004...but how much ire was raised about the equally family-unfriendly advertisements that involved some scatological humor and more than a little innuendo? Almost none until this year. Fucking double standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment