Wednesday, October 19, 2011

45min on elliptical trainer, 19 OCT 11, Arlington, VA

iThink: none. Was watching Firefly on the Science Channel on the elliptical.

WX at 2200: 68 (20) DP 66 (19) BP 29.27 (991) S 6 light drizzle; mist RH 93

Odometer 11B: 97.0mi equivalency

Z3. Average/max heart rate = no reading, but averaging about 155.

It was late, but I didn't work out this morning and I doubt I'll get much in tomorrow, so I got some elliptical time in and some lifting.

I was there with my dad, who lives a pretty sedentary lifestyle. He was not keen on my doing clean and jerks with a relatively light weight (olympic bar with 50 pounds added). He was afraid I would injure myself. He is paranoid.

I revisit this regularly, but my parents are not like me. I realized they are sheep. Not in a bad way, but they are sheep. They fundamentally do not understand why I am so uncompromising on standards. They do not empathize why I used to meatgrind my students, because I refused in good conscience to allow shitbags to graduate without meeting my standards. My mother has a particularly hard time with this, because she wants me to just be nice and get along.

I don't want to just get along, because there are 187 dead Americans, Czechs, French, Latvians, and Poles who deserved better than that during my combat tour. So fuck that getting along shit.

I realized that I don't want to go back to military academia. I didn't have the luxury of firing shitbags in school because they're shitbags. I did have the luxury of making their life a living hell so they would get some skills or professionalism.

Standards are great. Everyone should have some.

No splits.

No comments:

Post a Comment