Wednesday, February 03, 2010

30 minutes on the stairstepper, 3 FEB 10, Caserma Ederle, Vicenza, Italy

iThink: None.

WX at 0700: 28 (-2) DP 24 (-4) BP 30.06 (1018) Calm RH 86

Odometer 1: 315.1mi estimated

Z4.
Average/max heart rate = no reading.

The track was probably a less safe bet than yesterday since it was partly melted and there were patches of ice on the track, so I decided to go to the gym.

I'd been warned by the senior member of the group here that the gym tended to fill up fast (at least for cardiovascular machines) 5 minutes after it opened. I didn't get there until about 30 minutes after the fact so I did my first stairstepping in almost a decade.

A lot of people pass it by, but I don't think stairstepping is all that bad necessarily - it's a very low impact exercise and I work a hell of a lot harder on a stairstepper than I would on an elliptical or even a dreadmill, and it doesn't have the same kind of uncertainty that I get on a dreadmill.

I used to do it to improve my roadmarching, but I'm not in the close combat industry anymore, so I don't. Unless I don't have a choice...which I didn't this morning.

Still, burning 450 calories in 30 minutes is better than doing nothing.

No splits.

No comments:

Post a Comment