Friday, March 04, 2005

Jump 61, Ste Mêre Eglise DZ, A/NT and static J

Christina Milian, "Call Me, Beep Me" (Yes, it's the theme to the Disney cartoon Kim Possible. Really.)

Drop altitude 1500 feet AGL, time of drop approximately 1420
KFBG 041655Z 26007KT 7SM FEW080 11/M08 A3009 RMK SLP192
Conditions at: KFBG observed 1655 UTC 04 March 2005
Temperature: 11.0°C (52°F)
Dewpoint: -8.0°C (18°F) [RH = 25%]
Pressure (altimeter): 30.09 inches Hg (1019.0 mb)
[Sea-level pressure: 1019.2 mb]
Winds: from the W (260 degrees) at 8 MPH (7 knots; 3.6 m/s)
Visibility: 7 miles (11 km)
Ceiling: at least 12,000 feet AGL
Clouds: few clouds at 8000 feet AGL
Weather: no significant weather observed at this time

Something new for this one...aviation weather readings, which are a lot more relevant for airborne ops than the rollups in the past.

First jump in eight attempts. It's about damn time.

Today involved jumping a few lifts before I pulled my JM duty. Good exit, good verbal count, no twists, quickly gained canopy control and immediately turned into the wind. Jumping a size 4 parachute, no riser burns, no testicular squash. I missed the field landing strip by all of about 150 meters. That's a little closer than I wanted to be, but I'm glad I didn't have to turn with the wind and run with the wind. I wasn't taking any chances today since it'd been a while since I last jumped.

Had I been thinking a little differently, I would have considered steering for the turn-in point and button-hooked my approach at about 400 feet. It would've been doable today, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to take my chances with hitting the FLS. Or, for that matter, any other significantly packed pavement (like the roadway next to it).

My JM duty today, on the other hand, was nothing but money. I was paired with another JM who was a graduate of the Fort Benning JM course, but was, from what I could tell, an inexperienced JM on the Casa 212 and was a little apprehensive in the saddle. It underscores why it's good to have an active unit jumpmaster refresher/knowledge sharing program. I discussed this with the company executive officer, who agreed with the idea of having what amounts to a community of practice among the JMs in the unit (of which there are quite a few).

In any event, the spot was dead on, I had clear view of the panels, and none of my jumpers landed in the trees. All my time warnings were dead on, and one of the jumpers on the next pass mentioned "good spot" as I passed him, which was affirmation enough.

Why I was thinking of Christina Milian, I have no earthly idea...although I did read a review of the film Be Cool this morning which did mention her prominently.

All in all, a pretty good airborne day. Four more to 65.

2 comments:

  1. Well! Your blog is an interesting surprise. Just came across it. And didn't know what the hell those numbers and letters meant, so decided you'd give a hint. And there you are at Jumpmaster Refresher school. Went back to your 1st blog, then the next month to discover that. 82nd Airborne, I believe you said. I immediately thought of a writer I know--Ed Fitzgerald, one of the original Green Berets, and the 82nd chasing their asses all over the hills during their their training, in his book, Bank's Bandits. It's on Amazon. Most hilarious thing I ever read. Gonna have to give him your URL. He DOES remember jump school very, very well. Sounds like you're getting in great shape, but not overly fond of your school classes since I, like you, don't think we're going to be dealing with Russia anytime soon. I have a question: You ended with "four more to 65". You talking jumps? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was once a member of the 82d Airborne at one point of my life. It had its good points, it had its not so good points, but I look back at my service in the 82d as one of the defining moments of my current career.

    I decided to Google Bank's Bandits and it sounds like a pretty good book. I'll have to go look for it. The excerpt I read involves what it feels like to be riding a plane through a thunderstorm. Having done that once on a C-141 (while I was still in the 82d), I know viscerally what it feels like to want to lose your lunch on the plane. Didn't jump that night.

    There was another jump where I exited on a red light rather than woof on the safety. I knew him personally and I respected him enough not to puke on him. I landed in a tree but kept my lunch.

    I have currently 61 jumps on my jump log. I need 65 to meet the requirements for Master Parachutist (having met the other prerequisites).

    If we're fighting it out with Russia, it's going to be a short, unpleasant war. There is an anecdote, not confirmed, about a Soviet general who was a visitor to Fort Irwin, where the National Training Center is located. After watching the OPFOR fight a rotational unit, he was amazed because he had never seen Soviet doctrine done to the level of excellence that the 32d Guards Motorized Rifle Regiment did.

    ReplyDelete