Tuesday, January 25, 2005

a decade ago...

I was the possessor of a generic AMD 486DX2-80 computer with a whopping 8MB of RAM, a 540MB hard drive, and a 14.4kbps modem running Windows 95. During that time I'd heard about a now long gone website called "Babes of the Web." It was run by a guy named Robert Toups, who was very, very shameless about its ratings and links to innumerable websites for women who put photos of themselves on the web.

Ten years after the fact, I still see the occasional list of that nature, but the most inspired (and perhaps most humorous) I've seen in a while was an unintentional Google hit.

Thus, I unveil The 500 Coolest Chicks Ever. I cringe at the title, but there's a candor to this guy's writing I really like.

I chuckle at a few things.
1. The keeper of the list is shameless entertaining in his diction as well as his nom de plume.
2. All sorts of demographics are represented.

and...

3. There's something about the phrase "Jesus fucking airborne Christ" that just makes me laugh uncontrollably. Here's a potential reason why: A long time ago, when I was a recent graduate of the Basic Airborne Course, I had been sufficiently indoctrinated into the gratuitous use of the word "airborne." (I would experience this some six years later when I spent some time in the 82d Imperial Airborne Division.) During that time, I had interrupted one of my classmates as he was about to get, well, decisively engaged. I, being the total dolt that I was at the time, blurted out "AIRBORNE!!!" in an unnaturally loud voice when I realized the unfortunate (for my friend, at least) result of my inopportune timing. I have since deprogrammed myself from the Cult of the Airborne. For the most part.

No comments:

Post a Comment