Thursday, January 27, 2005

Concept of day

Syncretism.

I chance across a word I haven't heard since, well, 10th grade at St Christopher's.

My French teacher that year was a guy named Jeff Hall. Looking back, he was an awful lot more progressive and intellectual than the majority of my asshole rich classmates realized, who saw him as excessively effete, which, of course, is a cardinal sin in Old Money Preppitude.

One of my classmates and I used to bust on him for listening to Bronski Beat and the Communards at the time. (I was listening to mostly hardcore bands like Minor Threat and Corrosion of Conformity at the that point in my life).

In any event, I have Jeff Hall to thank for the introduction to the word... and I realize the connection it has to my current work, were I'm handling strategic concepts like military transformation, where syncretism is very much the order of the day. There's some eclecticism as well, but only in the continued development of the kind of balkanization I've been fighting the last few years as I spanned the armored and light infantry communities.

Or something like that.

No Hindu squats tonight. I'm going to try to get in a 7-miler tomorrow, first in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment