Wednesday, January 19, 2005

5.1mi, 41:32

The Corrs, "Summer Sunshine" (that's wishful thinking today!)
The Smiths, "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others"
The Ocean Blue, "Ballerina Out of Control"

WX at 0700: 15 (-9), DP 12 (-11), BP 30.47 (1031), Calm, RH 85%

Odometer 1: 247mi

Z3.
Resting heart rate before start = 49. I find this a little improbable, but apparently, this is bonafide. A resting heart rate that low makes me think I'm in better cardiovascular shape than I thought.

70 Hindu squats last night. The soreness in my legs is starting to abate, although like any new/unfamiliar exercise, I expect that will pass as my muscles get used to the new exercise and get progressively stronger.

While I don't see (nor should I expect) any short-term gain from these runs, I expect the run times will get faster as my legs get stronger (as should be the goal, or so I think). Averaging about 8-minute pace is not exceedingly fast...but I can live with that as steady state. Obviously I've run faster, but I think that'll have to wait until it gets warmer.

Speaking of which: I had frost hanging off my eyelashes and eyebrows, which caused the kids at the school bus stop to stare at me in amazement to the sound of "Whoa! Is that snow!" I can only think of having that happen two other times. The first time I recall it was at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas with about a foot of snow on the ground and the outside temperature being something like 11F.

There's a part of me that thinks I should probably ratchet my runs back up to the traditional 7.6/5 long-short combination, but I think I may hold off until a number of conditions hit:
1. I start waking up earlier.
2. My legs are used to doing Hindu squats and are no longer sore after at least 100 (although the goal will increase beyond that number)
3. It's not so damn cold.

The first half mile is the worst. That's when I can feel the cold seeping straight through my sweatshirt and t-shirt. I guess I could invest in technical running gear tops, but I'm cheap. And the cheap stuff works.

Splits
1.5 12:10 12:10 08:07
2.1 29:36 17:26 08:18
1.5 41:32 11:56 07:57 08:04

No comments:

Post a Comment