Friday, October 09, 2009

Memory and forgiveness

Today, I had occasion to run into an ex-girlfriend who I had not seen in 17 years. I realize that, after all this time, I still cannot forgive her for what she did to me. There's a line from the Iliad that stuck as a result:

Looking darkly upon Hector,
Swift-footed Achilles answered,
“I cannot forgive you,
As there are no trustworthy oaths between men and lions,
There can be no love between you and me.
One or the other must fall before then
To glut with his blood
Ares, the god who fights under the shield’s guard.
Remember every valor of yours,
For now the need comes hardest upon you
To be a spearman and a bold warrior.
There shall be no escape for you. You will pay in a lump
For all the sorrows of my companions you killed
In your spear’s fury.
Homer, The Iliad, book XXIII

No comments:

Post a Comment